- Compare/contrast point of view in two texts from The Crisis
- Identify how the music of “The Negro Speaks of Rivers” supports the text
Common Core Standards:
- RH.11-12.7 Integrate and evaluate multiple sources of information presented in diverse formats and media in order to address a question or solve a problem
- RH.11-12.1 Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources, connecting insights gained from specific details to an understanding of the text as a whole.
- W.11-12.1 Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence
This lesson includes a “Going Further” activity with Langston Hughes’s essay “The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain” and the poem “Prayer ” (set to music by John Musto as “Litany”).